I am a Blue Badge tour guide for the South West of England. The Blue Badge is the UK's highest guiding qualification, and is recognised internationally as a benchmark of excellence. To be awarded the badge you have to pass rigorous exams that test your knowledge and guiding skills. In the 2018 exams for the South West, I was honoured to be given the highest overall marks, and also awarded the best walking tour commentary of Bath.
So what can I offer you?
My Blue Badge qualification allows me to guide you anywhere in the counties of Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, plus the city of Bristol.
I guide private and group walking tours, coach tours and private, chauffeur-driven tours anywhere in the South West of England. Tours can be for a few hours, a half or whole day, or over several days. I can tailor my tours to suit either first-time visitors or old hands wanting more in-depth insight. With my in-depth knowledge of the region, I can tailor-make tours to meet your needs and interests, and help you plan your time and itinerary.
I am a member of the British Guild of Tourist Guides and Institute of Tourist Guiding. Both organisations have strict codes of professional standards and conduct. I also have full public liability insurance.
SOME IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS
* Bath. I've lived in the city for many years. I write about it. I know it like the back of my hand. I can take you on a walking tour of the must-see Georgian and Roman landmarks, and provide expert insight on these sights. I can also get you off the beaten track, and introduce you to pubs and cafés that are favourites with locals. More details on this page.
* Bristol – its maritime heritage, Isambard Kingdom Brunel sights such as the SS Great Britain and Clifton Suspension Bridge, street art (Banksy and others), slavery associations. I frequently take walking tours and coach tours around this fascinating city.
* Stonehenge and Avebury – world-famous prehistoric sites with UNESCO heritage status.
* Picturesque and historic south Cotswold villages and towns – including Lacock, Castle Combe, Malmesbury, Tetbury.
* Glorious cathedrals – Salisbury, Wells, Gloucester, Exeter, Truro.
* Glastonbury – Arthurian legends, the mystical tor, historic abbey – and the surrounding moody Somerset Levels.
* The Jurassic Coast – a geological wonder in Dorset and east Devon, and another UNESCO World Heritage Site.
These suggestions are far from exhaustive. South West England is packed with historic towns and villages, beautiful gardens, magnificent stately homes, glorious countryside (the region has two national parks, Devon and Exmoor), and a long, dramatic coastline. Just give me an idea of what interests you and how much time you have, and I can put together an itinerary.